Monday, May 18, 2009

Brynlee survived her first....

A 4.7 earthquake hit California last night and we definitely felt it. I hadn't been in an earthquake since I was a very young child in the Bay Area. It was a weird feeling! It's been too long since the emergency preparedness lessons in elementary school. I couldn't remember whether I was supposed to stay low to the ground, stop-drop-and roll, just say "no", or brace myself. I ended up running out the front door... in an attempt to run away from my problems? Josh was the one who actually ran for our young child. Woops. I'll do better next time! I don't think it caused any damage or injuries to anyone. (I think it was actually a pretty small earthquake, but I don't really know much about them). Only a few things fell off shelves in our apartment. I was secretly hoping that we'd have to pull out our lantern and live off our shiney tins of food storage, but maybe next time.

6 comments:

JethRobyn said...

Didn't you feel that Earthquake while we were in New Zealand?? I think it was a 4.8. I remember thinking Mapuna had climbed under our bed or something and was shaking it to wake us up! Maybe we just felt it more up on the hill. I'm glad you survived!!

Meghan said...

Wow, exciting stuff. I sure don't miss those. But I guess they're fun if they're little.

John said...

Glad you're supplied and ready. I'm in a part of the country where smaller tremors make big news. A 5.2 in Illinois a year ago was a big deal. I've heard of something called the Triangle of Life, where you get beside something big, rather than under it, so you'll have room to breathe and not get crushed directly. There's a link to more info on that at http://www.destinysurvival.com/2008/05/29/prepare-for-the-big-one-for-your-own-survival/ .

John

Dawn said...

Holy Cow! California sounds so exciting. I am always up for a dramatic natural event like that as long as no one gets hurt.

Dawn said...

Knock on wood.... ;)

HolliJo said...

wow! crazy! glad you guys are okay!