Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Grandma Tueller



My sweet Grandma Tueller got cancer a few years ago and she passed away on March 22, 2015. She was such a bright and happy woman. I've never known anyone quite like her and I miss her so much already. This is the first of my four grandparents to pass away, so it has been a new experience for me. Some moments have been heartbreaking, but I'm so grateful for my knowledge of the gospel and the doctrine of eternal families. I know I'll be reunited with Grandma down the road and that gives me such hope and comfort. 
Below are just a handful of sweet memories with her...

At one of our Tueller family Halloween parties grandma dressed as a butterfly. We all loved that she would participate in dressing up! 
 Grandma was so thoughtful with Josh and included him in the family right away. Josh and I spent our first year and a half of marriage at BYU, about 5 or 10 minutes from my Tueller grandparents. She often welcomed us into her home with fresh caramel corn on her counter. She knew Josh loved it, so she brought him this big bowl of caramel corn on his first birthday after our wedding. It was such a sweet gesture and I think of it everytime I see that purple bowl in my cupboard.
Grandma's famous homemade donuts with chocolate icing and walnuts. 
Grandpa and Grandma came to visit while we were living in Huntington Beach, CA. We had such a great time watching Uncle Mark play sand volleyball down by the pier. Brynlee was in a silly, busy toddle stage and Grandma got such a laugh out of Brynlee's energy, dancing and jumping and rolling around in the sand. 
Grandma Tueller was a school teacher and was always so good with children. This was a little drawing time Grandma and Bryn had at our Huntington Beach apartment. 
This was Grandma Tueller's first time meeting 6 week-old Mya. I had four miscarriages after Brynlee and my pregnancy with Mya was full of complications and twice-daily injections in my stomach. Grandma Tueller was such a strength to me during that time. She called me regularly, wrote me notes and emails, put my name on the prayer roll at the temple, and constantly buoyed me up with encouraging words and love. She gave that same love and concern to all of her children and grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. She always kept up on what each of us were experiencing. She was there to celebrate each success and help us overcome each challenge.
Four generations at Mya's baby blessing
This is my sweet Grandma soon after her cancer returned. 
Brynlee and Grandma Tueller had a tradition of reading together every time we visited Utah. It began with Grandma reading to Bryn, but eventually it changed to Bryn reading books to her. One sweet time was when Bryn read the Dick and Jane books that Grandma had used with her school classes years ago. 
Visiting Grandma summer 2013
Grandpa and Grandma Tueller's posterity. 
Not pictured are the four youngest great-grandkids: Lucy, Beau, Tate, and Emma.
Sweet Grandpa and Grandma Tueller
A few years ago, before cancer, my mom spent hours interviewing Grandpa and Grandma and now we've all got two DVDs of interviews. Grandpa and Grandma talk about their childhoods, courtship, marriage, raising kids, careers, church missions, their testimonies and other thoughts and advice to their posterity. What a treasure!!! As grandma got really sick, Josh and I watched these DVDs again and it was so special. 

I was dying that I wasn't in Utah those final few months of grandma's life, but luckily I was able to facetime with her every few days when my mom was at her home in Provo. Those were sweet, sweet conversations. My girls would sing her songs and tell her stories, Tate would "coo" and smile and kick his little legs for her, and I could tell her again and again how much I love her and how I was praying for her. We facetimed with her right up until the very end and it was a blessing. 
Oh, Grandma. I love you so much. 

No comments: