Monday, July 14, 2008

Baking Tip


I made a very useful discovery in my kitchen this past week. I've only been cooking for about a year, but this baking tip will certainly demonstrate my culinary maturity that is far beyond my actual kitchen experience. After whipping up a cinnamon coffee cake last week, I came to this important realization:


Baking Powder and Baking Soda cannot be used interchangeably.


The aroma and appearance of the hot coffee cake was as tantalizing as always, but the excitement ended after just one bite. Something was not right. Calling it disgusting would be an overstatement, but it definitely was not good. It wasn't until I was making biscuit dough the next day that I realized the mistake I had made with the coffee cake. I had used four teaspoons of baking soda instead of baking powder. (I guess this demonstrates a greater deficiency in my reading skills than my baking skills). It was only four teaspoons, but that was enough to make a diffference! So the next time you are tempted to use baking soda in a recipe that calls for baking powder, I would suggest sticking with the baking powder. I know, I know, they're both white powdery substances and they both start with "baking", but trust me - they are not the same thing.

No comments: