Thursday, August 6, 2009

Second Hand

I have a hard time buying furniture and other things brand new if I think I can buy something for a better deal second hand. Here are a few things we've scored in the last six months.... $350 for the couch on KSL classifieds. I'm always nervous when it comes to buying anything second-hand that is fabric or upholstered, but this came from a smoke-free, pet-free, child-free home, and it was practically new. I think I could have found something even better, but this was my first purchase from craigslist or the classifieds. I was an amatuer.
$30 on the KSL classifieds for the Ikea Poang chair and ottoman. This has been such a comfortable chair for the nursery!
$150 (give or take a little. I can't remember) on Craigslist. This dresser sells for $280 at Ikea. We bought it brand new for $150. Still in the boxes, unopened, brand spanking new.
$50 for the set on Craigslist. I wanted a small table for four that was solid wood, simple lines, sturdy, and under $100. Got it! It had a few scratches, so I bought a $3.00 can of matching stain and touched it up. I didn't want to buy a nice new kitchen table, since we'd just have to upgrade to a bigger 6 or 8 seater down the road.
$10 on Craigslist. I saw this same exersaucer new on Amazon for $110. I snagged it ten minutes after it was posted for sale. Then promptly took it home and drenched it in Lysol! It was from a really nice home, but I was still nervous.
$75 on Craigslist. Front wheel can swivel or lock straight. Bryn's car seat snaps into it (which was great when she was too small for the regular seat). I really wanted to find a used jogger for under $50, but I could never find one for that amount that had a swivel wheel and was in good condition. Oh well.
$150 on the KSL classifieds. 2004 model. Works like a charm. I'm still so proud of this purchase.
There's nothing like the feeling of getting a good deal!

5 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

Wow, Laura! You are AMAZING! I need you to help me! Sheesh. I'm super impressed. :)

Jae said...

See if you can find me a wive on ksl or craigslist.

Marie said...

Laura. . . WOW!! Thanks for sharing those amazing deals. They all look so nice in your cute apartment. Can't wait to see them in person in a few days!! :)

Jae, I couldn't find a wife but I did find a basket of fuzzy newborn kittens for $10.

Logan Clarke said...

Jae wife not wive. C'mon Jae:)

Bliss said...

Laura! You are totally a bargaining pro! I learn so much from reading your blog! :) You are such a cute mom, and are just so good at everything!